Sometimes I hear comments that chocolate must not be really toxic to birds because their bird ate a chocolate chip cookie, or some other chocolate treat and was fine.
I do cringe when I hear these comments as yes, chocolate really IS toxic. However not all chocolate is equal. The dark cocoa found in Dark Chocolate Squares, Bittersweet, and Baker's chocolates are usually the most toxic, as well as also containing caffeine which is also not good for your bird.
Chocolate in any form should not be fed to birds. Yes, Bittersweet, Baker's and Dark Chocolates are more toxic than Milk Chocolate, but are you willing to take the chance that your bird has no problem?
It's not just chocolate treats either. Those yummy sugary candies are big no-nos too. One candy corn may be a great sugar treat for a child, but that's a whole lot of sugar for a bird, especially a small one.
Also there is a somewhat new danger that is deadly to other household pet. It's called xylitol. It's a newer sugar substitute used in some sugar-free products, low carb products, and even vitamins and supplements. Become a label reader for safety. Even a small amount of xylitol can cause seizures, liver failure, and even death in dogs. The new way manufacturers disguise xylitol now is by listing it as "birch sugar". Don't be fooled, bird sugar is still xylitol and still very deadly.
So keep the people treats for the people, and if you want your bird to share in the Halloween fun, pick up a few birdie treats, or even better, bake up some healthy bird treats of your own.
Happy Trick or Tweeting!